Monday, October 26, 2009

My farewell letter to the Guard


I wanted to share this letter with you all. I announced my departure from the Tahquitz Colorguard today to the band director and my girls. After a LONGGGGG wait, I feel a bit relieved now that it's over with. I didn't announce it earlier to them because I wanted to make sure everything was solid and set in stone before I did. I don't think I've ever heard a room full of teenage girls be so quiet or seen as many tears as I did today. Broke my heart =(

I hope my girls realize how important they are to me and had it not been the experience I gained from working as their instructor I probably wouldn't have made it into the college program. I gained so many life lessons that helped me grow and learn professionally and personally, I can not thank them enough. Anyways here is the letter I wrote to them, it came straight from the heart and I cried my eyes out while writing it. Grab some tissues...you might need it ;)

To all of my guard girls,

I wanted to take a moment to let you know, that it is with great sorrow that I will be leaving my position as your Color Guard Instructor at the end of December. I received an exciting offer for an Internship and position in the Disney College Program in Anaheim, CA. This position will help me further my education in college as well as provide me the opportunity to build a career within the Walt Disney Company.

I truly cherish every moment throughout the time that I have worked with you ladies. All of the laughter, tears of joy and dedication that you all brought to the team have made my experience a journey that I will never forget. You all have taught me so many valuable lessons in life; lessons that will help give me the confidence to take on the new challenges I face in the future. I am extremely proud to call Tahquitz Color Guard my team. Even though I will no longer be around to instruct, please know that you all will always be in my heart and mind.

Each one of you holds such a special talent and passion for this sport, I hope that you find it within you to continue on with the program and help take it to new heights. Color Guard is an experience you won’t find anywhere else. It is a place to build teamwork and leadership skills, make friends that will last a lifetime, and allow a place for you to PROUD of all that you have achieved. Don’t let this opportunity go!

From the bottom of my heart, I appreciate all that you have done for the program and hope that you will trek on to be the amazing and successful team that I know you are. Without your help, I would not be able to stand here today and say that my time with the program has been a triumph and major accomplishment for Tahquitz High School history. If there is ever a time that you are in need of guidance or support, I am only a phone call away. I wish you all the very best of luck in the future. Just remember, a dream is a wish your heart makes. Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come shining through.

Sincerely your #1 Fan,

Coach Kira

2 comments:

  1. Kira, that is one of the most heart wrenching things that I have read in a while. It saddens me to know that you will be leaving Hemet at the same time I will be arriving back from Afghanistan, but I am so amazed how dedicated to you dreams you have become. For the longest time everytime I think about you I instantly start thinking about your stories about working in the Disney store, or your million and one trips to Disney Land. One day you and I will have to meet up and head to Disney Land together, i know you will be the perfect person to show me and my daughter all the amazing little things about that magical place.
    I wish you the best of luck with the internship.
    Your Friend forever
    Brett Randall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brett

    I would be honored to show you and your daughter all the fun places in Disneyland!

    It's been so long since we have had the chance to catch up. I'd love to see you!

    Come home safe, and thanks for all that you do for us in this country. It's the guys like you that allow me to live out my dream job ;)

    much love!

    ReplyDelete