Saturday, December 5, 2009

Welcome To Our Family Time

If it were possible to be fired for being a bad blogger I would have been fired a long time ago. The lack of updates comes down to this: Life has been crazy busy with the change over of jobs, school coming to an end, the holidays, church and spending time with my loved ones! To keep everyone up to date on what's been going on I have two long blog entries for you! The Disney update & the Life In General update.

World of Disney
As the days are flying by in a warp speed blur, my arrival at Disneyland's gates is now only 30 days away. Crazy, right? I think I'm still in denial that I am finally moving out. The thought of going out into the world entirely on my own for more than 3 days at a time is terrifying. Just as soon as I try taking my mind off of it, I wind up with e-mails in my inbox from Disney. Don't get me wrong, I am WAY excited, but at the same time it still feels very bittersweet. My family members get sad whenever I bring the subject up, so that does not help! =)

The e-mails are coming in rapid fire these days. At first it was one e-mail every two weeks or so, now the e-mails are every 3 to 4 days. Here's a rundown on the different e-mails I have received to date!

Welcome- Just a welcome to the family type e-mail. No new info, just rehashing of old information!

"Dear Kira,
We are so excited to have you as part of the Disney College Program Class of 2010! To prepare for your arrival, we're going to be sending you some e-mails that contain valuable information. Be sure to read them and check out the Web site at disneycollegeprogram.com to keep you in-the-know about your upcoming experience. We hope you're getting excited and can't wait to see you here! "



The Disney Look-A reminder about how I will have to conform to the 'Disney Look' guidelines while participating in the program. It included a cute little video discussing what we can and can't wear and how we should wear our hair, jewelry etc.. This part is tough for a lot of people who don't like to go with the typical, conservative American business woman or man look in their lives. I don't mind it, although I wish they would allow Cast Members an opportunity to dress a little more fashionable than they do right now. Here's a peek at what you would have to look like if you were a Disney Cast Member:

Having a Natural Hair Style and Color.
If hair color is changed, it must be natural-looking. If hair is highlighted, the highlights must be very subtle, well-blended with the rest of the hair and distributed evenly over the entire head. If highlights are not well-blended, if "roots" are visible or if the overall style or color does not appear natural, it will not meet the Disney Look guidelines. It will be your responsibility to change the color and/or style before beginning work.

Facial Hair
For gentlemen, being clean shaven and fully within the guidelines regarding facial hair.

Body Piercing
Removing all body piercings (including cartilage piercings and tongue rings).

Tattoos:
If you have tattoos that will not be covered by your costume (i.e. on you hand, wrist, neck, etc.), you will be required to purchase makeup designed for tattoo coverage and use this makeup at all times to cover your tattoo.








Room mate Connection- A message that included information on how we can request our room mates prior to our arrival at Disney! In order to request room mates (if you have chosen room mates via Facebook groups or other ways), you and your room mates all have to be arriving and departing on the same date, be the same gender, and all either be over 21 or under 21. That means no co-ed and those over the age of 21 can not room or live with those under 21 for obvious reasons. I have found two other girls via facebook to room with! One is from New Orleans & the other from Laguna Beach. Both girls have worked with Disney in the past and are pretty serious about the program, they're not there to screw around and get kicked out. That was my only requirement for anyone rooming with me! We are still on the look out for one last room mate though!




***Update: As of Friday Dec. 11, I am officially room mates with the two girls I mentioned above. We were unable to find a 4th room mate by the deadline, so unless Disney places us with a random 4th person, we will all be sharing a 1 bedroom apartment. I'm fine with that, I'll probably hardly be around the apartment much anyways!




Living Experience- A rundown and reminder about how I will be signing my life (& paycheck) away to Disney. It includes a look at the 'fee' requirements and an agreement that CP's have to sign during the on-boarding process!





Securing Renter's Insurance- Some suggestions about how we should find and get renter's insurance before our arrival. Renter's Insurance is actually mandatory to have for the DLR program. I haven't heard of participant's for the Walt Disney World program having to go through this process!


Background and On-Boarding Paperwork- Two .pdf files of paperwork that I have to fill out and submit to Disney by monday dec. 14th via fax. It helps speed up the process so that the CPers don't have to wait for background checks to go through the day of check-in.

Fuel Up- An overview on parking terms and agreements for the city of Anaheim. *Yawn*

Education Information- a lot of people have asked me what kind of classes Disney offers and what I'll be taking while I'm there. This e-mail covered the information for classes that Disney will be offering while I'm in the program, all information that can also be found on their website. Here is the information for those that remain curious =)

There are two collegiate courses offered:

Corporate Analysis-This course provides an organizational exploration of The Walt Disney Company and covers a variety of topics including its corporate history, structure, governance, performance and culture. In addition, students will learn more about our Company's concepts around innovation & technology, globalization, history & heritage, community responsibility and diversity & inclusion


Marketing You-Through participation in this course, students learn how to market their skills of communication, customer service, problem solving, conflict resolution, decision-making, self-management and creative thinking. Key elements include the development of a career focus and a personal marketing plan that encompasses the creation of a cover letter, résumé and networking strategy. The students will also learn interviewing and negotiation techniques.

(Both of these courses sound really good and I can not decide which to take, I'm leaning more towards marketing you though!)


Professional Development Study courses:

The Business of Show Business-Participants will have the opportunity to explore how specific organizational units are managed and "world-class" Guest Service provides magical memories.
Topics include but are not limited to:
Theme Park Operations
Lodging Management
Food and Beverage Management
Entertainment
Human Resources
Communications


Leadership Speaker Series-a lecture series which will provide Disney College Program Cast Members with the opportunity to gain insight from executives at the Disneyland® Resort (Vice Presidents and Senior Directors) from a variety of lines of business. All sessions will feature Disneyland Executives speaking about their roles and how they manage their careers. Participants will:
gain valuable career management pointers and advice
listen to personal and professional stories
learn about each leader’s individual career path
engage in question and answer sessions


There are also Academic Field Experiences that college programmers can sign up to attend throughout the program. The field experiences are tours and behind the scenes looks at different locations/attractions at the Disneyland Resort, as well as tours at places like the BURBANK STUDIOS and WALT'S APARTMENT.

Can we all guess what I'll be signing up for and doing the most on my program? lol!

So that is all what's new in the world of the Disney College Program. Quite a bit of information, isn't it? But really it isn't complicated!

I'm excited and apprehensive at the same time. I can't explain it! There is so much to get done in the next 30 days, but all I want to do is take a breath, sit back and enjoy everything that's going on in my life right now. Christmas is right around the corner and I haven't even had the chance to really go shopping for gifts!

As soon as I get the chance I'll publish my life in general update, I promise!

I hope the holiday season is going well for everyone. Remember in all of this chaos to take a few moments and take the opportunity to appreciate all that you have to be thankful for in life, even the small things =) Put on some Christmas music, sip a cup of hot coco and enjoy it. The season will be over again before we know it!

much love
-K

No comments:

Post a Comment